Friday, July 30, 2010

new imac 21inch first impressions

Got the imac and fast. Ordered Weds and got it Friday morning. Didn't add anything than stock, or it would have taken longer to get. Beautiful compared to my 2006 model imac. All metal is much more attractive. Only thing that bugs me is the glossy screen. When your used to matt, glossy stinks. Just my opinion. I can already tell it will be problematic when using in photoshop. Not to mention I couldn't launch CS 3. Thanks Adobe. At least Lightroom had no problems. New SD slot is nice, but no picture on how to put it in? To bad no flash card, as this is what I still use.
And now the time it took to get up and running. 3.5 hours to transfer info, as I didn't have the correct cord (6.pin to 9pin) from 400 firewire to 800. So usb took some time. Bought the cord later that day so I could use the firewire on some drives and my hub. Hub won't recognize the 4 to 6 pin firewire connections, not with the new imac firewire 800. Hub works fine with firewire 400 on my old imac. Switched to usb on two drives-need another hub as I ran out of usb connections. New imac has one less firewire connector?
Other things, to bright of a screen. Turned down the brightness until I can calibrate it. Bought the extended warranty as I've heard these imac's are tough to take apart. All wireless keyboard and mouse are nice! You will have to update the software, as it's 10.6.3.
Have to get used to smaller keyboard and mouse. Keyboard is 40% smaller. Mouse is very nice, but a bit small for big hands. Overall I'm quite pleased. Jon L

No comments: