Saturday, November 01, 2008

News Readers from itune apps

I have looked closely at a number of News readers and came to buy two of them. I used the free version, but needed more options and be able to read away from Safari browser. I needed an app that would read online within the app itself. Both of these apps did this. If your like me, a news reader is a must to keep up to date with what's going on in the world and your interests.
I found "Manifesto" and "Byline" to be at the top of what I was looking for.
Manifesto is just a great news reader. It has it's own browser and has flagged files for referencing later. You have tabs of all sorts to control things and on the iphone you have preferences in settings. You can load all of your news feeds from google reader online. They will load up at one time or all at once. This is a good backup if things go wrong. I have to confess I found Manifesto to be just a bit simpler and less expensive then "Byline".
Byline is from google; another great app and with google, you know it will continue to improve. One thing different than "Manifesto" is the folders that come on "Byline", very nice; the only thing I would prefer is that the feeds be separate like in "manifesto" and then have the flagged articles in the separate folders. But that maybe just my preference.
Byline is controlled threw google reader online, so there is no way to add or subtract feeds from the iphone. You will have to do everything from your web browser. This is where "manifesto has it over "Byline". Everything else is much the same. You can email any article from both apps. Two other things you can do with "Byline" are sharing and notes for the community that google has online. Notes you can see in the app.
Another popular rss reader is "Newsstand", I can't say for sure how this rates, as I didn't buy it and there is no demo. But you can check it out to.
My choice for now is "Manifesto" costs less and works great and without the restrictions of the web to control feeds.
Here are the links to all. You can find them all under "news" in the app store on itunes. If you own an iphone or ipod touch, you already have the hardware. But you will need wifi. Jon L
Appshopper

No comments: